Developing overlays for the netfilter project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing overlays for the netfilter project

During a "Youtube session" earlier this day, watching how racists runs organized attacks agains journalists and regular people, I realized that something probably should be done. But getting motivation when I've been on vacation in about three weeks is not the easiest part. I've stopped doing all creative projects that I actually planned. With only a few days left, I suddenly asked myself - is what I was planning even possible to do?

Apparently, it was. What I had in mind is something like this: A The chrome extension, should be present without being annoying. However, for the moment the first embryo is quite annoying as the overlay is visible on screen. This may break sites I'm using it on. Not in the normal manner where html or javascripts crash. It's more like a risk that I block site elements, that suddenly won't be clicked due to my element. However, in those initial tests, this chrome extension is not supposed to be deployed anyway.

So, I tried to create a very simple element that is placed as a tiny overlay block on all sites it is used at. In this case, this means the whole internet. The first purpose was to just see, how much interference I'll get when forcing html over other html. As it seems, it did work perfectly.

From this point of view, it is now actually plausible that we can create a filter where you selectively will be able to block pages, blacklist them, or just adding comments to them. In its first state, I think the best way to store such data on should be naturally via Google API accounts. Preferrably hashed in some way, so we won't be able to just fetch a "list of my worst asshats". Maybe, in a future version, we could make them globally stored and shared. But not now.

Selection_482.png
    -

The current location of the static element that activates the larger overlay is placed in the upper left corner. This is itself, a bit risky, so the plan is to have it completely invisible at start.

Selection_483.png
    -

Comment

Initial details.

https://developer.tornevall.net/2019...hape-of-2-1-0/
      -

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Unconfigured PHP Module

Collapse

Working...
      X